Saturday, April 12, 2008

Death of a Grandfather




Why do people have to die? Always the question when someone in your family dies, I recently lost someone I was close to, my grandfather left us last September 28,2007. I still say recently eventhough it's been almost 7 months because I dont think that memory will fade away.


My grandfather was a layminister for our Parish in the Philippines. He would be "serving" every Tuesday and Thursday at 6:30am and Sunday's at 5pm. He was never ever late. My grandfather was there about 20-30 minutes early to help out set up and be sure everything is all ok.



That made going to church unbearable for the next few weeks. Everytime I see a church or going inside a church, I'd be fighting back the tears. In Resurrection, all layministers would go beside the priest during the song Our Father.. So in my mind, whenever I see church I would automatically think, Daddy singing, praising the Lord at the top of his voice singing the Our Father... and soon he would be serving the body of Christ.. but no... it's not going to happen anymore...




Daddy Mat as we all call him has been an inspiration, has been my inspiration. He lived a simple life, simple needs, simple food, simple clothing, simple everything. Daddy was always there to help, he was there when I was a teenager and we didn't have a maid anymore and someone needed to look after me, I would be dropped off at their house and my parents would pick me up after their work. So that afternoon, I would eat merienda with my Daddy and watch TV with him. Fondest memories? Hmm... there's a lot, but I remember the feeling of happiness everytime I remember Daddy.




I remember when I was about 5 or 6, during Christmas when all the gifts have been given and its time to give out money, we would line up to Daddy and he would give me a whole heap of 5peso bills! As a young one, I thought I was rich already! That I could buy practically anything I want! But I always gave it to my parents so I can put it in my bank account and all that.. But about an inch thickness of 5 peso bills! Haha!! My Daddy loves to whistle at night, he whistles anything, although I dont know the tunes he whistles to, everytime I see him he'd be smiling.. My Daddy also loved walking, he takes public transport all the time and doesn't even complain one bit!



My Daddy is special in every way but the most memorable of all would be his voice. He has this grandfather voice, that when he talks to you and tell you its going to be ok, even though you think its the end of the world, you'll actually believe him. I can still hear him everytime he answers the phone and its for Mommy, he'll shout and say "Mommmeeeeeeee!!" then Mommy would reply back "Honeeeeey!!" Damn.... I miss his voice...



There is no other way to end a conversation with Daddy except for the words I love you, he sees to it that every phone call, those would be his last words... Daddy will always be remembered as the Man who was always there....

No comments: